Europac

  1. Home
  2. Business lines
  3. Managing forestry development

Managing forestry development

About us

For Grupo Europac, respect of the environment is an obligation to the society in which it operates and imperative for the sustainability and duration of the industry.

Wood is the natural, renewable raw material that supports Grupo Europac's entire industrial process, as recycled fibre deteriorates and we must substitute this for virgin fibre.

Proper forestry management guarantees the responsible cultivation and consumption of wood, in addition to promoting the expansion of both the forest area and the country's biodiversity, helping enhance this natural heritage.

As a result of this activity, jobs are created as part of the development of a sustainable economy, more CO2 emissions are absorbed, and the hillsides are cleaned, decreasing the risk of fire.

In accordance with our policy of vertically integrating the company's activities, Grupo Europac's forestry operations are aimed partially guaranteeing our own wood supply. Therefore, forestry management and logging is an important sector of the industry that we will continue to develop over the coming years.

Where we are

The kraftliner paper mill in Viana do Castelo, northern Portugal, is the only Grupo Europac facility that uses wood as a raw material. The proximity of this facility to the logging area reduces transport-related pollution and costs, resulting in the efficient and responsible acquisition of wood.


Products

The main tree varieties cultivated by Grupo Europac are pine and eucalyptus, which are used as raw materials in the paper production process, as well as the cork oak, from which cork is extracted.

All these products are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council ® (FSC®), an independent international body that certifies responsible forestry management from an environmental, social, and economic perspective.

In the company's kraftliner paper production process, 80% of the wood used as a raw material is pine and the remaining 20% is eucalyptus.

 

Certifications

The Chain of Responsibility for Raw Material guarantees that all the wood consumed by Grupo Europac comes from FSC® and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) certified forestry operations.​